What is SharePoint
SharePoint is a platform to support collaboration and content management system. It is a central web-based portal. Using SharePoint, you can manage your colleague’s and your own documents, social activities, data, and information.
- It allows groups to set up a centralized, password-protected space for document sharing.
- Documents can be stored, downloaded and edited, then uploaded for continued sharing.
- SharePoint offers such a wide array of features that it is very challenging for any one person to be an expert across all the workloads.
Let us understand what all can we do with SharePoint. It is divided into three separate areas −
The term collaboration contains a very strong theme for SharePoint. It means bringing people together through different types of collaboration, such as enterprise content management, Web content management, social computing, discoverability of people and their skills.
- In SharePoint 2013, collaboration is managed through Apps.
- Developers can extend, customize, or build their own Apps for SharePoint as well manage collaboration on SharePoint.
SharePoint is also about bringing this collaboration together through interoperability such as −
- Office and web-based document integration.
- Capability to build and deploy secure and custom solutions that integrate line-ofbusiness data with SharePoint and Office.
- Integrating with wider web technologies, or deploying applications to the cloud.